Perfectionism and procrastination are common traits among many people. While it may seem like a good thing to strive for, the truth is that it can often be the very thing that can hold you back from achieving your goals. Procrastination usually happens because of feeling that circumstances are not perfect yet in order for you to take action. If you find yourself constantly thinking that you have to be perfect to succeed, it’s important to understand that this is simply not true.
Here are some ways to let go of the need for perfection and procrastination and embrace a more realistic and achievable approach to success.
Steps to Stop Perfectionism and Procrastination
- Set realistic goals: One of the biggest reasons why people feel like they have to be perfect is because they set unrealistic goals for themselves. Instead of aiming for perfection, focus on setting achievable goals that will start small and work your way up gradually. This will make it easier to get rid of procrastination take action and build confidence as you progress towards your goals.
- Embrace imperfection: Perfectionism can often lead to fear of failure, which can hold you back from taking risks and trying new things. It’s important to remember that everyone makes mistakes, and nobody is perfect. Embrace your imperfections and view them as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Celebrate your successes: When you achieve your goals, take the time to celebrate your successes. Recognize your hard work and give yourself credit for what you have accomplished. Buy yourself something nice!
- Practice self-compassion: Perfectionism can often lead to self-criticism and negative self-talk. Instead of being hard on yourself, practice self-compassion. Treat yourself with kindness and understanding, just as you would treat a friend.
- Get the support you need: Surround yourself with people who will support, and encourage you, and will not let you procrastinate! Having a strong support system can help you stay motivated and focused on your goals, even when things get tough.
Replace Perfectionism and Procrastination with Authenticity
It’s important to know that perfectionism and procrastination can definitely get in the way of your success. Instead of trying to be perfect, focus on being authentically you. Just be true to your own personality, values, and spirit. If you are serious and determined to get to your level of success, seek the help of a coach or someone who can help you to get rid of your feelings of perfectionism and procrastination and keep you laser focused on your goals. As you read my posts here, I welcome you to work with me to Unlock Your Inner Drive and Find Focus in my upcoming Free webinar on Saturday, April 15 1:00 pm EDT. Click here to register.